TENTATIVE DESCRIPTION & AGENDA
WHAT Two-day conference on the topic of involving everyone to practice immersion methods in homes, communities and schools.
The GOAL of this conference is to convene community language experts, linguists, teachers, parents and learners with the aim of sharing information and experience in total immersion for Native language learning. Presenters will provide handouts (print or digital format) where applicable.
WHO This conference will benefit language teachers and learners, language program administrators and staff, language activists, parents, Native American youth/young adults. We expect will 200 people to attend. There will be ample time and opportunities for networking among participants.
TENTATIVE Presenters’ TOPICS:
1. HOME: Implementing Immersion in the Home
2. PERSONAL/SOCIAL NETWORK
3. SCHOOL A: Immersion School Development for Communities with Very Few Speakers
4. SCHOOL B: Niigaane Immersion School for K-3 – Leslie Harper (Ojibwe)
5. GOVERNMENT/ADMIN: What Tribal Government Commitment and Support of Immersion Programs Look Like (panel of tribal leaders) – Gerald Hill, Facilitator
6. WORKPLACE: Language Use in Workplaces
7. MULTIMEDIA TOOLS: How to develop materials to support immersion in homes, schools, workplace, community (pod cast, digital stories, booklets)
8. MOTIVATIONAL TALK: How Immersion Transformed Me
HOW The conference topics will be organized into 45 mins talk 30 mins Q&A. with no concurrent sessions, allowing attendees to participate in all sessions. Ample networking opportunities will be provided with 90-minute lunch breaks and a banquet on one of the evenings.
The presentations will be videotaped and made downloadable through ILI’s website.
Sponsors to date are:
W. K. Kellogg Foundation
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
National Indian Gaming Association
Early Bird Registration ends August 25, 2011, $175
Regular Registration is August 26 through September 25, 2011, $200
Elder Registration (65+), $150
Student Registration (must provide school I.D.), $150
For Online Registration go to: http://ilinative.org/iliss/registration2011.html
To Download PDF registration form: http://ilinative.org/iliss/ILISSREGISTRATIONFOR2011.pdf
CONFERENCE HOTEL INFORMATION
Reserve your lodging at the beautiful Hyatt Regency Hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico before October 3, 2011 to get the rate of $99 (single/double occupancy/per night). Call 1-800-233-1234 and use “Indigenous Language Institute” or “ILIS” code. Or book online at www.albuquerque.hyatt.com and in the corporate/group # enter this code G-ILIS.
- Date Held:
- October 24-25, 2011
- For Online Registration go to: http://ilinative.org/iliss/registration2011.html To Download PDF registration form: http://ilinative.org/iliss/ILISSREGISTRATIONFOR2011.pdf