At NILI Summer Institute we:
- Learn how to teach whole language (moving from words to sentences)
- Have guided teaching opportunities
- Create needed language materials for your community
- Learn more about the structure, vocabulary and pronunciation of your language
- Experience language learning from a student point of view
- Become more familiar with a variety of teaching practices and methods
- Speak in your language with your team members and classmates
Learning by Doing
June 17-28, 2013
This year’s focus on Learning by Doing will explore how you can take a culturally significant activity – gathering roots, carving, weaving, skinning an animal – or everyday activity – making a peanut butter sandwich or cleaning the house – and use it to teach your language.
Week 3 Teaching Practicum
June 28-July 2, 2013
For those participants wishing additional time to work on learning by doing lessons and units and to practice teaching them, the Summer Institute is offering an extended week of structured teaching practice. During this time participants will use the lesson plans and materials they have created to teach fellow participants on a daily basis. As a group, language teachers will provide support and feedback to each other about their teaching. Time will be available to make any additional materials needed for teaching.
If you have questions or need further information, please email us.
Information from Past NILI Summer Institutes
NILI Summer Institute 2012 – Dialogue
July 21-27, 2012, Week 3 Teaching Practicum
July 9-20, 2012, NILI Summer Institute
- Date Held:
- 17 - 28th June 2013
- NILI Summer Institute 2012 - Dialogue July 21-27, 2012, Week 3 Teaching Practicum July 9-20, 2012, NILI Summer Institute